Cream roll is a puff pastry filled with whipped cream or pastry cream. Shape is made by overlapping pastry strips around a tube. This is also called Trubochki. And this is one of my favourite desserts.
- Puff Pastry dough
- Granulated Sugar
- Pastry cream or whipped cream
- Confectioners’ sugar.
INGRIDEINTS FOR PASTRY CREAM
- Milk – 100 ml
- Sugar – 25 grams
- Egg Yolk – 9 grams
- Egg – 12.5 grams
- Corn-starch – 8 grams
- Butter – 6 grams.
PROCEDURE FOR PASTRY CREAM
- Dissolve half of sugar in milk and bring just to boil.
- Beat the egg yolk and eggs, sift in corn-starch and sugar into the eggs mix until smooth.
- Temper the egg mixture by slowly beating in the hot milk
- Return to heat and bring to boil.
- Remove from heat beat in butter.
- Pour in a pan cover with plastic film placed directly into the contact with the surface of cream and chill
- Use when required.
FOR CHOCOLATE PASTRY CREAM
STIR IN 25 grams of melted chocolate into 100 grams of cream when it’s still hot.
ADD IN half a teaspoon of instant coffee into the milk.
HOWEVER FOR CREAM HORNS I prefer to add 20% of whipped cream in my pastry cream as it makes it light and more creamers.
PROCEDURE FOR CREAM HORNs
- Roll out Your dough in 3mm thickness. Cut out your strips 3cm wide and 15cm long.
- Overlap these strips on conical or cylindrical tube.
- Roll the horns in granulated sugar and bake @ 200 degrees Celsius. Until crisp and brown.
- Slip out from tube while still warm
- Just before severing fill them with pastry or whipped cream. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.